By Ajay Cadambi
Yesterday, folks, was the birth centenary of the legendary singer Begum Akhtar – Mallika-e-Ghazal (Queen of the Ghazal). Her repertoire also included genres like thumri, dadra, hori, kajri, chaiti and baramasa.
Here are five of her songs to get you through the day:
1. Ghazal, “Kuch to duniya ki inayaat ne dil tod diya”
2. Raag Sindhi Bhairavi Dadra, “Hamri atariya pe”
3. Raag Des Thumri “Chha rahi kari (kali) ghata”
(It’s impossible to decide between these two renditions; they’re both superb.)
4. Hori: “Kesariya angiya rang daro”
(A bandish that seems to have fallen into disuse, this is one of her first recordings. Check out the Begum’s giggle in this 78 RPM recording of the same.)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S30bgcVoNs4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m23d8WJ6NvU
5. And finally, this sober and delectable rendition of a thumri in Raag Tilang “Akhiyan neend na aaye”.